Monday, August 24, 2009

Pregnancy Flashback- Voting

Dear Aiwyn,
As we drove home yesterday, we drove past the library where I voted during the last presidential election.... This past presidential election had the biggest turn out of voters in my voting history. (maybe ever? I haven't checked the stats on that.) I left work an hour early to drive across town to vote (from Covington to Lilburn). I got to the voting poll at about 4:45 PM and the line was wrapped around the outside of the building. I thought, "No problem. I have a magazine to read." It was a little chilly, but I had my winter coat on and the sun was still out. I left my scarf in the car and it was parked up a hill and on the side of a busy road (the library parking lot was full), so I didn't want to lose my place in line and go get it. The line was moving very slowly. And the sun was starting to set. It was so cold that I didn't want to take my hands out of my pockets to hold the magazine. There were some really sweet girls and their mom that were giving out cookies and hot chocolate which helped until I drank it all. Then the sun was gone and we were still outside. By this point I had already been in line a little over 2 hours. I called your Pops to have him bring me some snacks, gloves, a hat, oh and some socks because I was 6 months pregnant with hot feet and didn't wear socks that winter. But wait, I forgot to tell your Pops I needed socks, or did he forget? I can't remember. Well, he got there and had no socks for me. So he took his socks off and then walked barefoot back to the car!

No one around me knew I was pregnant until we were almost inside. I guess I looked really robust in my winter coat. They found out when I asked someone to hold my place in line because I needed to go to the bathroom (and I made a comment about pregnancy bladder). At about 8:30 PM some people in line ordered pizza and shared. I was lucky enough to get 2 pieces. I think both you and I were starved. Finally we got inside the warm building, but they still had us weaving in and out of rooms. I cast my ballet after waiting 4 1/2 hours in line! That's dedication! So, next time I go to vote my packing list will contain: snacks, water, appropriate clothing and foot wear, something to make the time pass (iPod?), and a camp chair. And to your grandfather, I have to say "I'm glad my vote cancelled out yours!"

Mucho,
Mama


This is what we looked like 2 weeks after the voting. Whoa, belly!

No comments: